If you and your kids love the beach but want a quieter vacation than the bustling resort atmosphere of Virginia Beach affords, Sandbridge Beach, Virginia offers everything you are looking for! You can plan a relaxing, secluded beach vacation, explore natural habitats and wildlife refuges, and participate in all the water activities you love without breaking the bank when you plan for a budget-friendly stay in your beautiful Sandbridge rental home.
Planning Your Budget-Friendly ItinerarySandbridge offers five miles of white, sandy beaches, towering sand dunes, and sun-soaked ocean vistas. You can make the most of your trip when you incorporate some of these low- or no-cost activities into your itinerary:
- Visit Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge—As home to thousands of geese, ducks, swans, sea turtles, and other wildlife, Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge offers eight miles of trails where visitors can explore the beauty of nature. For just a few dollars, you can purchase a day pass to take your family hiking or biking along the scenic trails, where you may spot a bald eagle or brown pelican.
- Spend A Day At Little Island Park—Located at the southern tip of Sandbridge Beach, Little Island Park offers plenty of activities for both children and adults. Play a pickup basketball game, let the smaller kids enjoy the playground, and bring a picnic basket to enjoy at one of the shaded shelters. In the afternoon, venture onto the beach for swimming and surfing, or just enjoy a stroll in the sunshine as you look for shells.
- Enjoy Boogie Boarding On The Beach—Bring your boogie boards for some wild, crazy ocean fun! Easier than surfing, boogie boarding lets you and your kids experience the excitement of catching some waves without the athletic prowess needed for other kinds of watersports. If you don't have boogie boards, you can rent them for about $20 per week.
- Plan a Backyard Barbecue—Most rental homes in Sandbridge include a grill for the backyard. Fire up the barbecue for some hamburgers and hot dogs or slap some steak and chicken on the grill for an unbeatable outdoor dinner. When you are pleasantly full, relax on the deck to enjoy the sunset or take a walk along the beach to look for shells.
- Enjoy A Moonlight Walk On The Beach—There is nothing quite as lovely as the ocean in the moonlight. After a full day of activities, take the kids for a walk along the beach to appreciate the majesty of nature and see how different the ocean looks at night. You may be able to spot some unusual shells that have been left behind as the tide goes out.
- Go Fishing On Little Island Fishing Pier—Head back to Little Island Park for a day of fishing at Little Island Fishing Pier. The pier offers some of the best fishing in the area without renting a boat. Bring your fishing gear and help your kids reel in their first flounder, whiting or mackerel. Be sure to pack a cooler to bring home your catch so you can enjoy an old-fashioned fish fry in your vacation home kitchen.
- Plan A Candlelight Dinner And Family Movie Night—Your vacation rental home offers a full kitchen and dining area, giving you the option to enjoy a lovely candlelight dinner for less than the cost of an expensive restaurant. Have the kids pitch in to prepare a simple meal using the fish you caught off the pier or plan something more extravagant with a brief trip to the grocery store. After dinner, relax on the couch with a movie and let the kids camp out on the living room floor.